The history of Wuhan University can be traced back to Ziqiang Institute, which was founded in 1893 by Zhang Zhidong, the then governor of Hubei Province and Hunan Province in the late Qing Dynasty. In the process of development and evolution, the institute changed its name several times before it was finally named Wuhan National University in 1928. It is one of the earliest comprehensive national universities in modern China. By the end of 1946, the university had established 6 colleges, the colleges of liberal art, law, sciences, engineering, agriculture and medicine. In 2000, an amalgamation of the former Wuhan University, Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electric Engineering, Wuhan Technical University of Surveying and Mapping, and Hubei Medical University was announced, which ushered in a new era in its 100-odd years of development.
For the past century, Wuhan University has built an elegant palatial architectural complex of primitive simplicity which blends perfectly the eastern architectural style with that of the west. It is honored as the “Most Beautiful University in China.” Over the years, under the overall blueprint of building a world-top university with Chinese characteristics, WHU has followed the path of running the school in an international way, strengthening exchanges and cooperation with world-class universities and scientific research institutions.
Now WHU has signed cooperation agreements with more than 400 universities and research institutions in over 70 countries and regions for in-depth cooperation of high quality in various fields, including University of Chicago, Duke university, University of Cambridge and London School of Economics and Political Science(LSE), National University of Singapore, Erasmus University Rotterdam(EUR), Université Paris Diderot-Paris, etc.