Jiangsu University (JSU) was founded in 1902 as a part of Sanjiang Normal University. It was retitled as Jiangsu University by integrating Jiangsu University of Science and Technology, Zhenjiang Medical College and Zhenjiang Teachers’ College with the approval of the Ministry of Education of China in August, 2001.
The university’s undergraduate teaching was graded excellent by the Ministry of Education in 2004. It has developed to be a national comprehensive key university. According to the Evaluations of China’s Universities in 2017, 2016 and 2015 by China Academy of Management Science, JSU is ranked 41, 48 and 55, respectively.
JSU offers 88 undergraduate programs, 170 master programs, and 42 PhD programs in 10 academic fields: Engineering, Science, Management, Economics, Medicine, Law, Education, Literature and History. JSU has 5,763 staff members (including those of Affiliated Hospital). 2,475 are faculty members, including 450 professors. Jingjiang College of Jiangsu University has an enrollment of about 10,000 full-time students.
JSU has been promoting high-level research. In the recent 5 years, the total scientific research fund amounts to 25 billion RMB, sponsored by the governments and enterprises. The authorized patents in 2014 ranked 12 and in 2015 ranked 6 among China’s universities.
JSU has signed institutional cooperation agreements with 87 universities in 30 countries and regions by June 2015. The Confucius Institute co-built by JSU and Graz University (Austria) has been operating smoothly since October 2010, followed by the opening of the collaborative Chinese-German Language and Culture Center.